Student Help Resources
Student Guide to Online Learning
This interactive guide will help you prepare for online learning at UVic. Get comfortable with what to expect, check out tips for learning online, get started with online tools, and know where to find help. Self-Register and the site will appear in “My Courses” on Brightspace.
Your UVic Learning Technologies
These self-paced online modules will help you get started with the basics for Brightspace, Zoom, Microsoft Teams and more. Explore common features you may use in your coursesand know where to get help. This site will appear in “My Courses” on Brightspace.
These self-paced modules will help you gain knowledge and understanding of academic integrity through interactive scenarios. Self-Register and the site will appear in “My Courses” on Brightspace.
Brightspace Web Resources
- See all Brightspace documentation
- Brightspace Video Tutorials
- Brightspace Community – Create an account with your UVic email to access
- On-demand video training (Sign in to Brightspace Community to access)
Contact the Computer Help Desk for technical help
- Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Weekends, 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Stat holidays, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Connect with a Learning Strategist
The Learning Strategies Program is a new free service open to all UVic students (undergraduates, graduates, international, Indigenous) who wish to maximize their academic performance and educational outcomes. Meet with a Learning Strategist to discuss your needs.
- Monday to Friday, 8am-5:30pm
- Sunday, 10am-2pm
Attend a Student Workshop
LTSI offers a variety of student-led workshops on online learning and technologies.
- Get Set Up for Online Learning Success (beginning of term)
- Participating in Online Discussions
- Microsoft Teams & Online Collaboration
- Conducting and Preparing for Online Presentation
- Preparing Video Assignments and Presentations with Echo360
- Preparing for Online Exams (middle to end of term)
Workshops run on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 12-1pm.
Learn Anywhere is your online student portal. UVic has support areas and online tools that you can access wherever you are. This site offers a central starting point for information about resources and services that are available remotely and on campus.
You can access Learn Anywhere right from within Brightspace to keep connected with the latest news.
Frequently Asked Questions
Keeping up with my courses
- How do I view and manage my courses
- How do I see course announcements?
- How can I use the calendar?
- How do I sync my Brightspace calendar with external calendar applications?
- How can I track my progress?
- What information can instructors see about me in Brightspace?
- How can I navigate my course content?
- What are the Quizzes, Assignments and Surveys tools in Brightspace?
- What are the different types of online exams offered at UVic?
- How do I access my exams in Brightspace?
- Where can I find resources to help me prepare for my online exams?
- What are some quick tips to help me prepare for my online exams?
- How can I prepare for and write a timed exam in Brightspace?
- What is an academic integrity pledge?
- How are online exams invigilated?
- What do I do if something goes wrong during my online exam?
- How do I take a quiz using Respondus LockDown Browser?
- How do I install Respondus LockDown Browser?
- How do I view exam submissions in LockDown Browser?