The 2023 nomination guidelines are now available below.
Nomination packages will be due to Faculty of Graduate Studies electronically by official representative of the unit by 4:00pm, May 15, 2023.
Award committees will meet in the following 30-60 days.
Awardees will be notified by early Fall.
About the Award
The Andy Farquharson Teaching Excellence Award celebrates teaching excellence among UVic graduate student teaching assistants.
Each academic unit may submit a single nomination. While unsuccessful candidates from previous competitions can be re-nominated, previous winners of this award are not eligible.
The following graduate students are eligible to apply:
- Teaching Assistants involved in teaching activities as a TA (not as a sessional) at UVic during the 12 months prior to the deadline (generally hired under CUPE 4163)
- Lab Instructors or Senior Lab Instructors who teach the lab sections of courses
Sessional Instructors are not eligible for this award.
Nominate a student
Please review the guidelines before nominating a Teaching Assistant or Lab Instructor.
REACH Teaching Awards
- The Harry Hickman Alumni Award for Excellence in Teaching and Educational Leadership
- The Gilian Sherwin Alumni Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Award for Excellence in Graduate Student Supervision and Mentorship
- Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research-Enriched Teaching
- Award for Excellence in Teaching for Experiential Learning
- Andy Farquharson Teaching Excellence Award (for graduate students)
It is assumed that candidates will be in the process of developing these skills and attributes, not necessarily having already mastered them.
Student-centred / learning-oriented approach to teaching
- Fosters excitement and enthusiasm about learning
- Applies scholarly approach to teaching
- Displays innovative instructional approach informed by Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- Creates open learning environments; is supportive of diverse student needs
Institutional values and adherence to UVic learning outcomes
- Inspires and mentors academic development
- Fosters development of academic skills (e.g., critical thinking, writing and communication skills)
- Is cognisant of the value of integrating research and teaching
Personal qualities that contribute to teaching
- Models appropriate scholarly, professional and ethical behaviour (e.g., lab safety)
- Is self-reflective about teaching (shows improvement over time)
- Demonstrates leadership qualities (e.g., collaborative, commitment to excellence)
- Contributes to the learning goals of the course instructor
The nomination package must consist of a single pdf file with contents arranged in the order indicated below. Documents submitted in excess of the page limits noted will not be considered.
Section 1: Nomination letter (maximum 1 page)
Section 2: Letters of support (maximum 1 page each)
Section 3: Nominee statement (maximum 2 pages)
Section 4: Summary of evidence (maximum 5 pages)
Examples may include (though not all are required):
- Instructional materials developed (e.g., handouts, lesson plans, problem sets, class website pages, marking rubrics, manual sections, test questions, etc.). Note: these materials are applicable only if developed by the TA and not by the course instructor
- Mentoring of students in the classroom/lab or through office hours
- Samples of feedback given to students (anonymized), or before- and after-samples of student work that a student modified based on feedback from Nominee
- Effective facilitation of on-line discussion threads or other virtual learning environments
- Relevant SoTL research that informs teaching practice (indicate how the research was used)
- Interest in learning about new skills as a TA (e.g., attending LTSI courses)
- Offering teaching-related workshops for other graduate students/TAs
- Public and peer-reviewed sharing of teaching and learning discoveries (e.g., presenting at conferences or symposia)
- Being interviewed by the media to share experiences from a teaching and learning-related project to a broader audience
Section 5: Curriculum Vitae (maximum 2 pages)
Award Administration and Process
The award is administered by the Office of the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
A selection committee reviews the nominations and makes a recommendation to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
The selection committee includes:
- Chair, Associate Dean, Graduate Studies
- Executive Director, Division of Learning and Teaching Support and Innovation (LTSI) or designate
- One undergraduate student appointed by the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS)
- One graduate student appointed by the Graduate Students’ Society (GSS)
- One previous winner of the award
Up to three awards of $1,000 each are selected annually. The awards will be publicized by UVic Communications + Marketing.
The nomination package must be submitted electronically by an official representative of the unit (i.e., Chair/Director, Graduate Advisor or their assistant) to email@example.com. Receipt of nominations will be acknowledged by response email.
Inquiries may be directed to the Assistant to the Dean at 250-472-5187 or firstname.lastname@example.org.