Guide your students on what is expected in an online environment. For example:
- Conduct and express yourself in a way that is respectful to each other
- Use channels appropriately
- If you cannot complete your task in a timely manner, notify your teammates and your instructor
- Check communication frequently
- Keep your messages concise
Alternatively, you can involve students in creating a classroom agreement together. Here are some questions you can ask students to consider when creating an agreement:
- What makes a safe, engaging, and productive online learning environment?
- How can we participate in the class in a respectful manner?
- How can each of us be responsible for maintaining our positive classroom environment?
- What are the kinds of behaviors that might disrupt our class?